Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Christmas Season is Upon Us!

Hello again everyone! Well it's December again and "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!" minus the beautiful snow however.

So what's up with that. I'm 40 and I can only remember maybe a handful of white Christmas'. I know were are in the south so-to-speak but were are in the northern south. We need more snow this time of year. I know i'm babbling a little but you know what I mean.



It's this time of year that I can't help but think of the many Christmas mornings I had as a child. I was the youngest of 4 children and I feel that I benefited the most because I was "the baby". It seemed like to me that we had somewhat of a tradition every year that consisted of a few given events.

Mom would always make a few tons of homemade candy that was left all over the house and was always delicious. And that was an awesome event except for the one year that I discovered her white chocolate covered pretzels and they were goooooooooooood, and I ate way too many. Well after the many trips to the porcelen puke pot I swore I would never eat another and got sick just looking at them.

I always knew when Christmas was really close because every year mom would open up the attic and dig out the Christmas tree and decorations and the ever so famous card board fireplace. I just loved it, because it meant that Santa had the elusive entrance into the house and we could hang our stockings from it.

Then Dad would come home from work with the box of Oranges and a full smoked ham that Bartlett-Collins glass (where he worked) gave all the employees as a bonus. That Ham seemed like it lasted for weeks and I would sneak into the kitchen to tear off a piece to snack on.

Decorating the tree was always a family affair and a few minor squabbles would always break out, but nothing too severe, it was always over who was allowed to put the star on the tree.

Then at some point we could not make it through the season without seeing Rudolph the red nosed reindeer on TV. Life would have ended had we not seen it. And then the follow-up showing of Frosty the Snowman, ahhhhh good times.

Then finally Christmas eve night. Sometimes we would turn off the TV and sit around in the living room and Dad would get out the harmonica he brought back from Germany and play us his version of Silent Night. It wasn't the best but it was always awesome, to me anyways. I thought he was the coolest guy on the planet.

Then came the infamous Christmas morning. Oh the smell of fresh frying bacon and coffee on the stove and fried eggs and pancakes and all the trimmings. I can't seem to remember if we ate breakfast before we opened presents or not, but opening the presents was always a frenzy.

Once the presents were opened I would pick out my favorite and we would all load up and go to grandmas house and do it all over again followed up by a HUGE lunch. It was always a great day. Many memories swarm around me but too many to share for this post alone.

I just want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and to remind you, Jesus is the reason for the Season!.

God Bless You All!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Little Brother when I read this, all those Old Christmas memories came back to me as well. You know when I look back to when we were young,we didnt have much money,even though both of our parents worked hard,Dad at Bartlett-Collins and mom babysitting and Ironing,and takeing care of 4 kids,we still had all we needed and then some. After reading this and looking back in time,the tears was just rolling down my face thinking, We Are Truly Blessed. Thank You God for those wonderful Christmas's but most of all thank you for you son Jesus.

    ReplyDelete